- Electroless Nickel Plating
- Industrial Metal Coatings
- Industrial Roller Services
- Value-Added Services
- Coating Applications
What is the Electroless Nickel (EN) Plating Process?
Electroless nickel plating is a form of alloy treatment designed to increase resistance and hardness in a metal or plastic. The electroless nickel plating process is simpler than its counterpart electroplating. There is no need to pass an electric current through the chemical bath solution in order to initiate the plating process. Instead, the metal surface goes through a series of cleaning and auto-catalytic reactions, which Electro-Coatings has perfected.
EN Plating Steps
- First and foremost, the surface undergoes a pretreatment process where it is cleaned with a series of chemicals to remove greases and oils. Thorough cleaning is essential in preapring the component for proper plating. Each component is meticulously cleaned based on the surface material.
- Once cleaned, the substrate is activated with an acid etch or proprietary solution, preparing the surface for a deposit of nickel-phosphorus.
- After the plating has been completed the electroless nickel process renders the component more resistant to corrosion and friction.
Electro-Coatings uses it’s close to 70 years of experience and these Electroplating techniques to manufacture unique composite coatings that provide more application specific advantages.
Electroless Nickel Plating Thicknesses
Electroless nickel plating can be deposited at a rate of 5 microns per hour all the way up to 25 microns per hour. Since it is a continuous process that builds on itself the thickness of the coating is essentially limitless. As thickness increases however, minute imperfections become more apparent.
Depending upon your specified requirements, Electro-Coatings applies one of five different coating options. Contact our trained staff to discuss electroless nickel plating solutions, or to learn more about our detailed plating process. Electro-Coatings is committed to providing a solution that fits your needs.